Hi everyone from Tom F!

Just joining the Accordion Love community? Introduce yourself and say hi to everyone :)
Tom F

Hi everyone from Tom F!

Post by Tom F »

Hi everyone, nice to meet you, I'm Tom from Wisconsin in the good ol' USA (Tom's Accordion on youtube)!

I've been playing accordion for 7, 10 years? It's hard to remember! I pretty much taught myself after someone brought an old accordion to work, wanting to get rid if it. I paid him $50 and the test was history... I took a few lessons early on but learned mostly from internet resources, including Ronen's videos. I just recently discovered and joined Accordion Love and really enjoy the live streams and all the lessons.

I play mainly traditional and folk music, primarily American and Italian. Before covid I played at some bars and restaurants and volunteered a lot, playing for seniors and Alzheimer's people 3 or 4 times a month. I really miss it and can't wait to get back. I am not an expert or professional player but I really enjoy the whole business.

For a while I was into collecting and restoring accordions since here in Wisconsin everyone's Grandpa played and there is always an old Hohner or Scandalli in the attic. It was a lot of fun, but I decided life is short and I'd rather devote my time to playing so I bought new Piatanesi accordions from Italy which I really love.

Anyway, thanks to Ronen for this forum, the lessons snd the live stream and I look forward to the challenges and chatting with all you wonderful people!
Ronen from Accordion Love

Re: Hi everyone from Tom F!

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Thanks for posting about yourself, Tom.
What were some of the crowd favourites when you played at the retirement homes?
Tom F

Post by Tom F »

Hi Ronen!

Since it was western Wisconsin, the "Old Time" music style went over big, like Beer Barrel, Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie, Muss I Denn, also American traditional like You Are My Sunshine (always a hit!), Red River Valley, Beautiful Dreamer, Jambalaya.

But people like the Italian stuff too like Carnevale di Venezia, Tarantellas, Calabrisella Mia, Vieni Sul Mare, like that.
Adrian P

Post by Adrian P »

Hello Tom,
Adrian from the UK here. So wish we were neighbours !
I have a 80 year old accordion which I need to tune. I've downloaded a tuning app thingy for guitars but have struggled so far to get any good results. It was given to me a little over a year ago to learn on ( at 67 ! ) but after a couple of weeks pushing air through it the leathers and valve pads started to fall off. I completely disassembled it, no mean feat on the bass side, and fitted all new leathers , pads and gave it a thorough clean, but then found it was out of tune. Is there a better app that you know of for tuning that's free to download ? I know Dirk's Tuner is the best but being on a pension I cannot afford it. Fortunately my son's partner's father had a nice Sonola he gave me , so at least I can continue my learning, but the old accordion has a lovely musette sound so I would love to get it back in tune.
All the best for now
Adrian
Tom F

Post by Tom F »

Hi Adrian! Welcome and nice to meet you. I'm sorry I don't know much about tuning or digital tuners (I was fortunate to have friend who helped me out). I have read that there is a free or shareware version of Dirk's Tuner that you might be able to find by googling around, or ask around on the accordionists.info forum. Good luck!
Ronen from Accordion Love

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Just had a look at Dirk's Tuner. Wow! :o
douglas felsenthal

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Adrian,

I saw your post on Tom's Accordion. Of course reed tuning is about the hardest thing you can do. But, we can work together on it if you like. First off I would need to see what you have got on the reed side. Take me some pics and do me a quick video of how the bass side sounds. We can take it from there. I might be able to help you out with the Dirk's thing. Let's start with some more info first.

Douglas Felsenthal
Adrian P

Post by Adrian P »

Thanks Douglas, I've put a picture up on the repair section . Unable to send a video of the bass side as I have no compression now ! I am going to fit a new bellows gasket but more likely it's a valve stuck wide open. It will take me a while to get back onto the repair, other things in the pipe line at the moment but I'll get back to you when I can.
Re Dirk's tuner, I know he does a free trial but I want something more permanent if possible. The free guitar one I downloaded is the NCH Pitch Perfect Instrument Tuner which works quite well but difficult to tell which note to tune to as the needle often lands between two notes. Photo is of my Peretta in question .Thanks again.
Adrian
It's humble to stumble ! :)
Ann N

Post by Ann N »

HI Tom,

It's Ann N and I was born and raised in Milwaukee, WI the home of the best festivals in the world!!! I saw you reference Summerfest in a reply to someone. If things ever get back to normal, and we make a trip back to WI (living in PA) it would be fun to meet. My cousin lives in your neck of the woods. I think the playing you've done for Alzheimer's patients is absolutely wonderful.
Tom F

Post by Tom F »

Hi Ann! Nice to meet you (again)! My wife grew up in Milwaukee and Waukesha. I love Milwaukee but now have retired and am living the good life in Door County and would love to visit with you here and play a few tunes. Unfortunately I am not volunteering at all now, but hope to do so again.... Good luck with all your projects in PA!