World Accordion Museum

Feel free to talk about anything non-accordion related in this forum.
Ford C

World Accordion Museum

Post by Ford C »

If you ever get to the northwest corner of Wisconsin near Lake Superior and Duluth Minnesota, you must go to Superior Wisconsin where you will find the World Accordion Museum. It is a gigantic collection of accordions arranged in chronological order from the very earliest versions...I’m talking thousands of accordions, lovingly displayed amongst equal numbers of accordion knick-knacks. Every possible version of a free-reed instrument operated with bellows can be found there, along with collections of accordions, posters, costumes and historical from many of the famous accordion players through history. There is an extensive research library, and vast collection of music, and a breathtaking performance space. All to be found in a slightly sad-sack little town on the shore of the big Lake. Also known as the Harrington ARTS Center, you can see it online at worldofaccordions.org. Helmi Harrington Ph.D. runs the place. She was once one of the stars in the accordion performance universe. She has authored learned articles for the Groves Dictionary (for those music scholars who are out there). Really...this place blew me away when I stumbled on it. You can also enroll there to get a two-year degree in accordion repair.

Ford
Tom F

Re: World Accordion Museum

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Ford! Unfortunately the last time I was in Superior the museum was closed. Now with covid 1. I'm not traveling anywhere and 2. With the great covid migration out of cities like Mpls/St. Paul and Chicago, Superior is likely not to remain "sad sack" for long. Just saying....
20201009_222020.jpg
20201009_222020.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 243 times
Steven M

Post by Steven M »

Thanks for this post Ford!!!

I am going to check this place out someday. Very interesting that you can get a degree in accordion repair.
Ford C

Post by Ford C »

Tom...the day I went to the museum it was closed, but I snooped around back and found Helmi unloading her car. I helped her with a large display case, and she spent a couple hours with me in the museum on a private tour. A generous and deeply knowledgeable woman!
Tom F

Post by Tom F »

Wow, how cool is that, Ford?
Ann N

Post by Ann N »

Sounds great. Maybe once things get back to "normal" If ever.....Tom, thanks for sharing a picture of a Pick 'n Save bag....memories of live in Wisconsin.
Tom F

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Ann! We cheeseheads be having fun with our cordeens, dontcha know.... You'll be back!