Practice support

Feel free to talk about anything non-accordion related in this forum.
alan

Practice support

Post by alan »

I’m sure everyone lives busy,tiring lives so sometimes-often the idea of picking up the accordion and struggling through a new piece may be the last thing any of us might want to do. Ronan’s fifteen minutes a day is a great starting point,it should be manageable..until it’s not consistently manageable. I belong to a piano forum and for years they’ve run a forum called-master of your playing. Their approach is a bit more complex and demanding,basically you agree to join and you then agree to practice for even barely five minutes a day. If you miss a day you need to log in and you are excused. At the end of the year everyone who has stayed on the wagon receives a emoji trophy with the year that they add to their signature. I don’t think we need to be as stringent here,but on that site there are members-amateurs,who have succeeded at doing this for six years. I think an area where we just commit to daily,almost daily practice might be a great boost-means of support. A commitment to the fifteen minutes a day(to begin with) plan. If anyone is interested in joining me please say so. It’s not intended as a challenge or rules like a school-it’s intended as a means of support for those of us who will do anything but pick up our wonderful instrument,however briefly,every day.
Tom F

Re: Practice support

Post by Tom F »

Hi Alan,

I'm in! I think committing to consistent practice is good, and having a thread here to talk about it is helpful too. I decided at the beginning of 2021 to try for at least 8 hours per week. This works better for me as some days it's just not practical to play for one reason or another, or I just need a break. I've met my goal for the first 8 weeks of the year. Mostly I've been adding harmonies ("chording") to my repertoire songs, and learning new songs (tune of the month). How about you?
alan

Post by alan »

Good for you Tom. I’ve only come up with this idea last night and I did practice quite a bit. I take private lessons so I feel very regimented in what I practice. I’d like to let go once in a while and just play with not being too conscience or worried about what I’m doing. I plan to start in about less than an hour. Once I start I can just keep going.
Jan v

Post by Jan v »

Hello Alan, for me this works quite different. Since there is Ronen, my Roland FR4X with the possibility of a headset, great examples on our forum and youtube, for me its more a matter of when to stop ;) .

On average I pick up one of my two accordeons (upstairs or downstairs) once or twice a day. What I can improve is focus on one or two songs in parallel that I want to play. Especially after a Sunday live stream there are a few songs more that I like, make some attempts and leave it, this is fun but does not give good progress.

Just to share.

Regards Jan.