B&B Project - Ukrainian duo

Talk about music; original songs, other people's songs, etc. Feel free to share links!
Chris N

B&B Project - Ukrainian duo

Post by Chris N »

This duo plays beautiful music on Bayan and Bandura - hence the name B&B Project.
The first is the slavic name for a chromatic button accordion, (usually B-system).
The latter is a Ukrainian stringed instrument - a kind of zither I guess you could call it.

Have a listen, and enjoy the landscape too - let's hope these people are somewhere safe.

Reeka

Re: B&B Project - Ukrainian duo

Post by Reeka »

Thank you, Chris, this is very beautiful and at least a way of thinking of the Ukrainian people.
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Thank you for this Chris. A beautiful duo indeed.
The "Bayan"...My understanding is that this is very much a Russian instrument. The origin of the name dates back to the Middle Age: "Boyan" was a sort of a bard in Russian folklore. The instrument as we know it now was popularized widely throughout the Soviet Union, chromatic buttons, yes but also equipped with multiple octave free bass that allowed musicians to enter a wider repertoire, such as classical music or orchestral music. Because the use of this instrument spread in the USSR, it qualifies as a "slavic" instrument indeed. :)
olivigus

Post by olivigus »

Lovely. He has his own YouTube channel too as Accordionman. Really nice performances of lots of different music, and some very fun videos of him playing the accordion for animals. This recent one I found very beautiful;