advantage of piano over CBA

Just getting started with playing the accordion and have questions? Have a question about a technique? This is the place.
patrice-m

advantage of piano over CBA

Post by patrice-m »

I just realized that a big advantage of the piano accordion over the CBA is that when you watch a video of someone playing a song you want to learn, it's much easier to see what notes are played if the video features a piano accordion :) Then can can play it on your CBA if you wish. That's for people that can't learn by ear. But who can when multiple notes are played at the same time ? Most people will only be able to identify the highest note (the melody). More advanced people would also be able to identify the lowest note. For three notes or more, only expert can. Of course if you can catch the melody, you can then come up with your own choice of additional notes, but sometimes you really want to imitate the video, because you like the exact choices of the performer.
Philippe

Re: advantage of piano over CBA

Post by Philippe »

I used to consider that keys were a better system than buttons, mainly because I play the piano. Then I discovered buttons ( a 3 row C system on my left hand current free bass instrument ) and realized that an argument could be made that a button board is by far more ergonomic than a keyboard. The main thing is that button notes can be played in a much narrower area therefore reducing stretches and enhancing the player's performance ;)
patrice-m

Post by patrice-m »

Thank you Philippe for your refreshing comment in a time I so often ask myself if I made a good move switching to a CBA !
Kim N

Post by Kim N »

Piano accordion is my primary instrument but I taught myself CBA during this pandemic.I have an unusual 3 row 60bass instrument making it perfect for folk music. I find both instruments have their advantages but play mostly folk music on the cba.PA is easier for me as I play piano and find it easier to accompany others on.However it seems I get more respect from playing my cba if that matters. I find the key of D or C easier to play on my three row CBA especially irish music. the Piano accordion seems sturdier I must say, being at an advantage to the cba. I use Ronen lessons for both types of accordion.