Good accordion habits

Just getting started with playing the accordion and have questions? Have a question about a technique? This is the place.
Ronen from Accordion Love

Good accordion habits

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Hi!
During my livestream last week Jack Feldsien asked for some bad habits to avoid as an accordion player.
I didn't have a very good answer at the time, but our very own Scotia emailed me with some great tips (thanks Scotia!).
I thought the forum would be a good place to gather your good (or bad) habits you've acquired so far.

Scotia, I'll paste your tips below:
One thing is the position of the right hand. Some people (mostly self-taught players) let their arm kind of droop down, and the wrist is twisted. I've been told by friends who are more professional players that I should always try to keep my wrist and arm as straight as possible (sticking out straight to the side).

Another thing is movement of the bellows. A friend told me I should try to keep the bellows tightly together at the bottom, at all times! And only draw the upper part outwards - like a fan. Some people just yank the bellows straight to the sides. That's apparently a no-no for professional players.

Also.... a friend once told me that when I put my accordion down after playing, I should always lay it down with the left side on the floor and the keyboard pointing upwards, rather than flat on the floor (with the bellows in the middle, keyboard and buttons on either side). That's to protect all the delicate reeds inside, a friend told me.
Also from the livestream, Nikolai L. mentioned to practice very slowly, and to have patience. I couldn't agree more! Emphasis on the "very" slowly.

Would love to hear your thoughts as well.
Ronen from Accordion Love

Re: Good accordion habits

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

A new video with a good/bad tip about controlling your tone:
Coral_M

Post by Coral_M »

Following last week's livestream, I found it really useful to revisit the "How to wear your accordion" lesson in the 'Before you start playing' section of the Accordion Love website. It just reminded my to keep my back straight and check my playing position (which I confess had become a little sloppy).
Jan v

Post by Jan v »

Hello.
Talking about good habits. For me this is also about taking good care of my bag. I came across an interesting chair which I bought a year ago. While playing I actually do an exercise with my whole body. There is a air cussion which you can adjust by changing the air pressure.
I found it by watching the playing of Ivan Hajek, I like his style of music. Watch his movement and muscles.
I play often for more than an hour, than this is chair very relaxing.

Regards,

JanvdB
Coral_M

Post by Coral_M »

I would definitely fall off :D
trackingguru

Post by trackingguru »

Do you happen to have a link to the info for the "air chair"?
Jan v

Post by Jan v »

Search for Topstar sitness 20

Arounds 125 Euro.

Jan.