Sustained Bass overtaking the melody

Just getting started with playing the accordion and have questions? Have a question about a technique? This is the place.
cay

Sustained Bass overtaking the melody

Post by cay »

Hey everyone!

I'm Cayleigh, a beginner accordion player. I have a little 72 bass accordion that I'm learning on and I'm running into a few issues with the sustained bass technique. I'm learning Mia & Sebastian's theme https://accordionlove.com/course/mia-an ... a-la-land/ and when I play the A, Bm, E7 combo at the beginning, just holding those chord buttons in a sustained bass technique, I can't hear any of the right-hand piano keys.

For example, with the A-major chord, I'm holding down only A-major (not the A note above) and playing the melody, but the melody makes hardly any sound. If I change it to an Oom-Pa-Pa with the A note and the A major chord, I can hear the melody much better.

I've tried changing how hard I press the bellows, but I'm not sure if that is the proper technique. I would love to hear any suggestions or tips you guys have.

Thank you :)
Reeka

Re: Sustained Bass overtaking the melody

Post by Reeka »

Cay, i think thats normal. But you have two options: do a more staccato bass that is skip sustaining. Or Take another Register on the right Hand Side which has more Volume. Hope your according has two or even more. Some Instruments have more than one bass Register where you could choose the one lese heavy. Hope that helps :)
cay

Post by cay »

I’m glad to hear that’s normal! Thank you for the advice, I will try that out. My accordion has a few registers that I can try.
Brückentroll

Post by Brückentroll »

Hi Cay,

can it be that you only hear yourself badly because you sit behind the accordion? For your listeners it could sound better or differentiated. Record yourself and check this.
Philippe2

Post by Philippe2 »

This subject seems to come back on most accordion forums. Here is what Ronen (Moshe) was offering a while ago: