Buying a new accordion question

Talk about accordions (digital and acoustic), amplifiers, straps, and any related musical equipment.
Joel R

Re: Buying a new accordion question

Post by Joel R »

Thanks for all the good tips. This was the purpose of the thread, i wanted some different perspectives.

I think you Chris touched a good point, and that is aiming for having 2 accordions that doesn't compete o with each others.

I will surely research if someone can look into / service my accordion for a fair price in Sweden. Good to hear that it is an option (i would never have thought). I am intrigued with your experience with Roland FR 1x and that it could be a good choice for an evolving casual "campfire" player. I am leaning Roland FR 1X at the moment to use as main accordion :).
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

If you are after a second-hand Roland FR1-x, I am pretty sure that Emilio Allodi has still got my old one - I gave it to him in part-exchange for an acoustic CBA not long ago.

It is a long distance to have it shipped, I know, but digital accordions are more robust when it comes to shipping.

This is his website - but it is not updated very often - you could email him or phone him to ask if he has it.
http://www.accordions.co.uk/

I don't know how much it would be but I would guess maybe around £1000
Joel R

Post by Joel R »

Yesterday my Roland FR1-x V accordion arrived. I have some questions about the built in speaker. I think the volume is very low. I would have to keep it at max volume to even be on par with my acoustic. What is your experiences? I have contacted some Roland support but they say they doesnt have any experience on a Roland with bad built in speaker. They recommend i send it back, but i just dont know what to expect from this V accordion. on max volume it plays with 70-80 db. On middle volume it plays with 60 db. A normal conversation is 60 db. Do i just need to learn playing with more force when it comes to pull and drag the bellow?
douglas felsenthal

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Joel,

I would suggest you contact Martin at Temp Music. Martin was one of the first Roland dealers and knows all there is to know. I use mine mostly for the midi component and use a large sound system with it so box sound is not used very much.

Doug
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Hi Joel

Congrats on the new accordion!

The built-in speaker on the FR1x is not that loud, it's true. My acoustic accordion is definitely louder.

I think you would have to put it through an amp if you want it louder.

One thing you could also try is to adjust the bellows control - the knob near the top under the left-side strap - when the bellows are set tighter you get a louder sound for less pull.

By the way - there is a forum dedicated to Roland accordions here https://groups.io/g/rolandv-accordions

That's a good source of information and a place to ask questions.

Chris
Joel R

Post by Joel R »

Thank you Chris, i believe it got a lot easier to play with adjusted bellow control, i can play more relaxed then before.

I have played non stop on it now for two days and i start to really get a hang on it. I dont know if i am learning to better control the bellow or something but the sound is a lot more even now and i can live with it not being that loud (consistent volume is more important. On full volume it is harder to make a consistent volume, but maybe its just something ill learn as i get better on bellow control). It is such a joy to just play around with all the features. Overall i am very pleased with this machine.

I´ll head over to Ronens lesson on bellow control ones more :)

I will surely join the forum you recommended :D