Buying a new accordion question

Talk about accordions (digital and acoustic), amplifiers, straps, and any related musical equipment.
Joel R

Re: Buying a new accordion question

Post by Joel R »

Thanks for all the good tips. This was the purpose of the thread, i wanted some different perspectives.

I think you Chris touched a good point, and that is aiming for having 2 accordions that doesn't compete o with each others.

I will surely research if someone can look into / service my accordion for a fair price in Sweden. Good to hear that it is an option (i would never have thought). I am intrigued with your experience with Roland FR 1x and that it could be a good choice for an evolving casual "campfire" player. I am leaning Roland FR 1X at the moment to use as main accordion :).
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

If you are after a second-hand Roland FR1-x, I am pretty sure that Emilio Allodi has still got my old one - I gave it to him in part-exchange for an acoustic CBA not long ago.

It is a long distance to have it shipped, I know, but digital accordions are more robust when it comes to shipping.

This is his website - but it is not updated very often - you could email him or phone him to ask if he has it.
http://www.accordions.co.uk/

I don't know how much it would be but I would guess maybe around £1000
Joel R

Post by Joel R »

Yesterday my Roland FR1-x V accordion arrived. I have some questions about the built in speaker. I think the volume is very low. I would have to keep it at max volume to even be on par with my acoustic. What is your experiences? I have contacted some Roland support but they say they doesnt have any experience on a Roland with bad built in speaker. They recommend i send it back, but i just dont know what to expect from this V accordion. on max volume it plays with 70-80 db. On middle volume it plays with 60 db. A normal conversation is 60 db. Do i just need to learn playing with more force when it comes to pull and drag the bellow?
douglas felsenthal

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Joel,

I would suggest you contact Martin at Temp Music. Martin was one of the first Roland dealers and knows all there is to know. I use mine mostly for the midi component and use a large sound system with it so box sound is not used very much.

Doug
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Hi Joel

Congrats on the new accordion!

The built-in speaker on the FR1x is not that loud, it's true. My acoustic accordion is definitely louder.

I think you would have to put it through an amp if you want it louder.

One thing you could also try is to adjust the bellows control - the knob near the top under the left-side strap - when the bellows are set tighter you get a louder sound for less pull.

By the way - there is a forum dedicated to Roland accordions here https://groups.io/g/rolandv-accordions

That's a good source of information and a place to ask questions.

Chris
Joel R

Post by Joel R »

Thank you Chris, i believe it got a lot easier to play with adjusted bellow control, i can play more relaxed then before.

I have played non stop on it now for two days and i start to really get a hang on it. I dont know if i am learning to better control the bellow or something but the sound is a lot more even now and i can live with it not being that loud (consistent volume is more important. On full volume it is harder to make a consistent volume, but maybe its just something ill learn as i get better on bellow control). It is such a joy to just play around with all the features. Overall i am very pleased with this machine.

I´ll head over to Ronens lesson on bellow control ones more :)

I will surely join the forum you recommended :D
Ronen from Accordion Love

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Joel R wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:54 pm Thank you Chris, i believe it got a lot easier to play with adjusted bellow control, i can play more relaxed then before.

I have played non stop on it now for two days and i start to really get a hang on it. I dont know if i am learning to better control the bellow or something but the sound is a lot more even now and i can live with it not being that loud (consistent volume is more important. On full volume it is harder to make a consistent volume, but maybe its just something ill learn as i get better on bellow control). It is such a joy to just play around with all the features. Overall i am very pleased with this machine.

I´ll head over to Ronens lesson on bellow control ones more :)

I will surely join the forum you recommended :D
Congrats!!! Joy and ease with your instrument is SO important! I'm glad you're enjoying your instrument 👍☺️
douglas felsenthal

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Hi Joel,

What did you ever do with your accordion and how did you end up?

Douglas
Joel R

Post by Joel R »

douglas felsenthal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:27 pm Hi Joel,

What did you ever do with your accordion and how did you end up?

Douglas
I bought a new bellow and some nails for ~250 Euro. I have been looking at some youtube clips, and waiting until summer when my brother in law comes visit. He is very handy and is working on building robotics for movie sets, i think he can handle to change the bellow for me :).

I am still playing pretty much every day on my Hohner Accordion. I just love the genuine feel from an acoustic instrument. I will let you know as soon as i have changed bellow.