mold prevention--new accordion

Talk about accordions (digital and acoustic), amplifiers, straps, and any related musical equipment.
vortre chardclo

mold prevention--new accordion

Post by vortre chardclo »

I have a horrible mold allergy and wasted money last summer on used accordions that almost killed me! Does anyone have tips on keeping my investment must- and mold-free? Jokes about not singing and playing in the shower are welcome, but I'm curious if there are any extra steps I could be taking!!
douglas felsenthal

Re: mold prevention--new accordion

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Hi,

Let me know where the mold is. Have you had it apart to look, better wear a N95 mask if you are so sensitive. i'm going to assume it is in the bellows. You would then use the same techniques as mold in your home. Just don't soak the bellows in liquid or anything, but anti mold sprays, used lightly should work.

Give me some more details and I'll do some additional research from this end.

Douglas
douglas felsenthal

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Hi,

Just did a quick check - You would want to locate the mold. Once located, you can use an ultraviolet light wand in the 'C' band to kill the mold spores. This with some careful hand cleaning should get you there. But if you are really sensitive, be careful along the journey.

D
vortre chardclo

Post by vortre chardclo »

Thank you, Doug! I'm going to remember your tips. I actually gave up and threw away (I mean "recylcled"--don't want to be banned from the discussion board) two used accordions after trying to air them out. So far my factory-new Weltmeister is fine, and I just want to keep it that way!!!