Need your help.

Talk about accordions (digital and acoustic), amplifiers, straps, and any related musical equipment.
Jan v

Need your help.

Post by Jan v »

Hello accordeon soulmates.

For months, years I make little progress with playing rigth hand chords. As Ronen mentioned, several times, in the middle of the nigth we must be able to play any chord instantly. In all kind of forms.

While learning this I found several apps (for tablet or smartphone) that can be connected to my midi keyboard. While you start your song/notes, you see the keyboard and even sheetmusic visualised and will be challenged to touch the right key combination, like a chord. It makes it a sort of game.

However to find or make the rigth midi files and/or exersizes is the big thing.

Imagen yourself sitting with just a small keyboard and phone and practising your rigthhand chords and achiving your goal: playing around all these chord like Ronen is doing :)

Any experience or tips on this matter?

Look forward to get your thougths on this.

Sorry for the pour English.

Regards Jan.
Ivo v

Re: Need your help.

Post by Ivo v »

Hi Jan,

Maybe I understand you completely wrong. but maybe this tip will help you on the way as well.
look at this website,
https://chordu.com/chords-tabs-elvis-pr ... KK6sMo8NBY
A example to play Blue Christmas of Elvis Presley.

(vertaling - nederlands)
Hoi Jan,
misschien heb ik je verkeerd begrepen, maar mogelijk kan deze tip je ook op weg helpen.
kijk op deze website
een voorbeeld om blue Christmas van Elvis Presley te spelen.
https://chordu.com/chords-tabs-elvis-pr ... KK6sMo8NBY
Ivo M.
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

I have no tips when it comes to midi or software for this, but my suggestion would be to play along with music you like and accompany with chords in the left and right hand together (basically padding like in one of those earlier monthly challenges (May 2021 - here is my entry, and you'll see what I mean http://accordionlove.com/alforum/viewto ... 1a9aee8cd3).

Now, if you don't want to sing, you can just play the music on your phone/computer and follow along with the chords. There are TONS of chords available on Ultimate Guitar Tabs. The easiest way to find them would be to google the name of the song plus the word chords (e.g Blue Christmas chords) and follow the links.

Sometimes the recorded song is too fast for what you can play, or in the wrong key. I suggest a (free) app called AnyTune which can play any song in your library, and you can change the key and slow it down (or by all means speed it up) to something you can play along with.

I prefer practicing this way with songs that I actually like, as opposed to following some midi-course. I personally like to sing, so I'll just pad the chords and sing over it, but playing along with the recorded version is really great practice too.
Jan v

Post by Jan v »

Thanks Anna and Ivo for your quick response.

Not easy for me to explain what I am looking for. Some more detail. There are various apps that on one screen show the song/notes/chords (as moving sheetmusic). On the same screen you see a keyboard ( could be your own keyboard) that invite you to touch the correct key. The result is that you can see if you do it rigth and measure progress. So you can "check" yourself by listening and visual keys. Most online piano courses make use of this. They do not allowed you to add your own midi files.

My goal: to be able to find the correct notes/fingersetting for most of the chords (much easier) that I play with the rigth hand. This without looking at the keyboard.

@Anna. I like your way of doing this. However I need to develop more time ( muscle memory?) to find keycombinations without looking.

@Ivo. Interesting app you shared. It is missing the visual keyboard I am looking for.

Finally, this is not a big issue, I am just eager to take next steps in my accordeon journy. Playing chords ease is one of this steps.

Regards Jan.