C-Griff fingering

Discussion about non-piano accordions like chromatic button accordions (CBA) and diatonic accordions.
Jan v

C-Griff fingering

Post by Jan v »

Hello, I am happy we have this area on the forum.

After 4 years intensive playing on a piano accordion, I am a CBA beginner now. Inspired by Ronen and others I bought myself a small Weltmeister CBA C griff.
The real inspiration came from two cousins fifty years ago. They learned no fingering at all. One of them is on a youtube channel, notice he is not using his tumb.
https://youtube.com/@accordeonist62?feature=shared

Now, after two months, I enjoy the first learnings and admit that being patiënt is a good habit.
An amazing and challenging project,

In terms of finger setting, i found a whole world out there. On internet I found four "standards", I will post them later.
Thanks to a local CBA teacher I discovered an other way of fingering, wich is propably the best for me. I will post this one as well.

The same teacher learned me that using the fourth and fifth row already now is also a good for a starter like me.

So far my first sharing about this Journey.

Hope to hear from others as well.

Regards .
andreaplanet

Re: C-Griff fingering

Post by andreaplanet »

I'm beginner with Music generally and with the Accordion (rented). I decided for a CBA, mainly because I never liked that on the piano the black keys are smaller, and you have to jump with the fingers once you want to go beyond the white keys. But probably a piano layout is overall easier, not counting that there are different systems with CBA. But I continue to stick with CBA (C-Griff is widely used in Europe).

My local teacher gave me a book which uses the 5 finger system, where you use all 5 fingers. And I should avoid crossing fingers or rotate the hand. It has to remain comfortable. But that's just the initial approach. When I had in some passages a difficulty, my teacher said I could use all 5 rows, whatever is more convenient. There is freedom. And I notice that especially when improvising, I change a lot the finger positions, whatever comes more handy at the moment.

Well, I'm still a super-beginner, so maybe my opinion is not much relevant.
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

Hi Jan!

The book I'm using suggests the following fingering for a C Major scale (using the first 3 rows only): 1 2 3 2 3 4 3 4

For an F Major scale (using the first 3 rows) it suggests: 2 3 4 3 4 2 3 2

For a G Major scale (again, confining yourself to the first 3 rows): 3 4 2 4 2 3 4 3

In my head, I sort the major scales based on the row of the tonic (the first note on the scale). So every major scale that has the tonic in the first row (that would be C, Eb, F# and A) would use the same fingering as for the C Major scale above.

The F Major scale starts in the 3rd row (along with D, Ab and B), and all those would use the same fingering.

The last set of scales start in the 2nd row and are C#, E, G, Bb, all using the same fingering as for the G Major scale.
Jan v

Post by Jan v »

Hello Anna and Andrea, sorry for my late response.

I am underway with my CBA project for about two months now.

I have studied several differant finger settings for de C-griff system. After meeting an experienced CBA C-griff teacher I decided to let go all this 'standards'. She wanted me to use all the 5 rows from day one. And my fingers go were they feel most comfortable. I am not sure where this will lead to. For now it feels fine, I will keep you posted on my pogress after a couple of months.

My CBA is a very litght one. This is easy for handling, to put it on and off. The down site is that is a bit unstable/wobbly for my lenght and not resting on my knees. I might need a bigger and more havy one. Whas is your experiance on this?
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

I'm not sure. My button accordion is also quite small and light and does not rest on my knees, but I haven't found it particularly unstable. I do like standing up and playing my little button accordion. It's only 11 lbs (just under 5 kg). When I sit down and play it, I tend to cross my legs to get closer to the bottom of the accordion body, but it mostly stays in place thanks to the straps.
My piano accordion (esp the Beltuna) is a much larger instrument, and I almost always sit down and play and rest the bottom corner of the piano side against the inside of my right thigh.

Return to “Non-Piano Accordion Discussion”