Tune of the Month, April 2024, "Ievan Polkka"

Share video or audio links of your playing. Forum is open to Accordion Love Members only. Ask for feedback, or just highlight your playing.
Kyle V

Tune of the Month, April 2024, "Ievan Polkka"

Post by Kyle V »

Hi Everyone

Welcome to the April Tune of the Month Challenge - For April we are learning "Ievan Polkka".

You can find the song performance and lesson on Ronen's website here: https://accordionlove.com/course/levan-polka/ under European/Russian/Nordic Accordion Songs.

"Ievan Polkka" (Finnish for "Ieva's Polka") is a Finnish song with lyrics printed in 1928 and written by Eino Kettunen to a traditional Finnish Polka tune.

The song is sung in an Eastern Savonian dialect spoken in North Karelia.

I found an example of the song:

Looking forward to seeing everyone's version (or part of), or medley or a creative version of it.

Happy Learning! Happy Playing!

Kyle :)
annadalvi

Re: Tune of the Month, April 2024, "Ievan Polkka"

Post by annadalvi »

Excellent choice, and great fun to play.

(Do you recognize the other tune of the month that I snuck in there?)
Accordionista

Post by Accordionista »

What a fabulous performance Anna!! Lots of variation and expression. Really enjoyed it. Is that a button accordion?
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

Thanks Jane. Yes, this is my little chromatic button accordion. It's a really fun little instrument, and weighs only 11lbs (5 kg) - easy to bring anywhere. I've had it for a year and a half now. I've really enjoyed learning how to play it.
Reeka

Post by Reeka »

What a joyful performance, thank you Anna! I heard Hey Sokolij, the Polish-Ukrainian folk song. Ievan Polka gives much room for combining and variation. Hope to come up with something before end of April. :?
Kyle V

Post by Kyle V »

Hi Anna Wow what an Excellent performance! I also think the other song is Hej Sokoly. :) Thanks for contributing to Tune of the Month!
nepatterson

Post by nepatterson »

Excellent, Anna! Such a fun incorporation of Hej Sokoły in there too!
Nancy
Dale4Accordion

Post by Dale4Accordion »

Hello Anna,

Brava! on your Levan Polka rendition. Great work. Have you always played CBA or did you transfer from Piano Accordion? I have considered that transition but have not made the move. Your input would be appreciated.
Dale
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

Thanks Reeka, Kyle, Nancy and Dale. It sure is a fun song to play. And yes, of course that was Hej Sokoly from Ukraine. Both songs have that nice, bouncy riding feel, so they seem to work well together.
Dale4Accordion wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:38 pm Brava! on your Levan Polka rendition. Great work. Have you always played CBA or did you transfer from Piano Accordion? I have considered that transition but have not made the move. Your input would be appreciated.
Dale - I transitioned from Piano Accordion. Or expanded from there, I guess. I still play a lot on my piano accordions and I still find that easier (probably always will, since I come from a piano-background), but the button accordion is so nice and compact. And it's always fun to learn something new. I've had a lot of fun learning how to play it. If you have the time and inclination (and manage to get your hands on one of these), I totally recommend it.
Dale4Accordion

Post by Dale4Accordion »

Thanks for responding Anna,

I will keep an eye out for a bargain CBA and until then I will continue to work on Piano Accordion. Due I detect a accordion collection for you too?? Would love to hear and see a picture of your collection! What are your accordion preferences and what is special on your most favorite ones?? Oh, I just posted my introduction post and it has a picture of my collection and accordion interests.
Hope to talk more, Dale

Return to “Showcase Your Playing”