Hello from Oakland California

Just joining the Accordion Love community? Introduce yourself and say hi to everyone :)
Nikolai L

Hello from Oakland California

Post by Nikolai L »

Hi everyone, I'm Nikolai. A little over two years ago, a friend was moving across the country and posted a picture on her Instagram feed of a beautiful red accordion, and asked if anyone wanted to give it a good home. I was first to respond, and suddenly found myself, in my 50s, with a musical instrument unlike anything I'd ever played. I decided it was a sign from the Universe, and haven't looked back since. Shortly after that, I found Ronen's YouTube channel and livestreams--thank goodness--and have taught myself how to play with his help. Like others, I have found, even with daily practice, that the accordion is *much* more challenging than expected. But I keep going! One thing I have going for me is some knowledge of music. I played flute for a couple of years when I was young, then switched to trombone in high school. Primarily though, I am a singer. I've sung with church and school choirs for my whole life, and in musical theater for most of it. It's been a big help with the accordion. I'm originally from Sacramento, but moved to the Bay Area in the late 80s. I've lived here in Oakland, across the bay from San Francisco for over a decade now. I teach digital art/design at the college level, and co own a small company that makes puzzle based scavenger hunts for corporate events (although not so much during the pandemic!) when I'm not practicing my scales and arpeggios.
Rudy1

Re: Hello from Oakland California

Post by Rudy1 »

Hello, Nickolai. Being a singer will go a long ways to being able to make your accordion sing. Looking forward to some videos from you.
Nikolai L

Post by Nikolai L »

Thanks Rudy, I appreciate that!
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

It's funny how the universe just decides that more accordion music is needed. :lol: I started playing because my dad gave me an old accordion (several years after I had made some remark that it might have been fun to play accordion - I play a bunch of other instruments, including the piano). And then a couple of months later he got me a second one, and I thought I had really better learn how to play properly.
Best present ever! I'm having so much fun.
Austin C

Post by Austin C »

Hey Nikolai! I live in Sacramento. I read that you are originally from here. Nice to meet you!

-Austin
Nikolai L

Post by Nikolai L »

Hi Austin! Good to meet another Sacramentan here!