August 2022 - Anna

annadalvi

August 2022 - Anna

Post by annadalvi »

I'm still on a bit of a Swedish kick when it comes to music. So... for this month's challenge, I chose Tatuerarevalsen (the Tattooist's Waltz).

Tatuerarevalsen is a Swedish waltz by Evert Taube (1933) about a sailor returning to Sweden. While abroad he would make his money as a tattooist. Dragons and snakes around arms and legs, the sun, stars, faith, hope and love. In Antwerp, he had lots of customers every day, but he thinks it will be hard to find people to tattoo in Sweden. Still, he thinks that if he can just find one customer, others will come. (Of course had he arrived 70-80 years later, he'd have had no trouble finding customers, haha.)

As for the technique for this month, I like it a lot and use it fairly often - both in major (like here) and in minor (e.g. Kass' Theme). But I thought it'd be more fun with a new video. I think it's much more interesting when accordion players do little "extras" in the left hand, like bass runs, or these stepping notes, or whatever, and not just a straight bass-chord-chord.
This tune has the typical Evert Taube key change (from C to F) and as always for me, the section in the new key is my favourite part. That's when the lyrics mention the tattoos and the trouble finding customers in Sweden (1933, not now)
mudbugcandy

Re: August 2022 - Anna

Post by mudbugcandy »

Bravo Anna!!! That was fabulous!!! And excellent demonstration of the challenge. I loved the history and explanation of the song. For extra points, do you have a tattoo?? :D
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

mudbugcandy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:38 am Bravo Anna!!! That was fabulous!!! And excellent demonstration of the challenge. I loved the history and explanation of the song. For extra points, do you have a tattoo?? :D
Me? Nope. It is a really great song though, I think.
Thanks for your kind comments. ♥️
buttonc

Post by buttonc »

Brilliant song and playing. Do you play from music or memorise?
Steve
Sinne K

Post by Sinne K »

A new piece of music for me. Beautiful performance Anna. This is how the bass line becomes more and more musical🤗
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

Thanks Steve. I play from memory. That was one of the things I really wanted to do when I decided to pick up the accordion. I've played piano forever, but (almost) always with sheet music. So I thought it would be good to step away from that as much as possible with the accordion. I still use sheet music from time to time with the accordion, particularly when learning new songs, but then try to step away as soon as possible. And then I'm spending more time figuring songs out by ear. Some are easy. Others not so much.... it's a work in progress.

And thank you Sinne. I totally agree with your comment about the bass lines. Well put. For me, it's also a big part of what makes the arrangement more interesting.
NC Poole

Post by NC Poole »

That was a magnificent performance, Anna! Ehat a fun song. The counterbass additions were lovely. Well done!
ievapa

Post by ievapa »

What a nice waltz and what an interesting story!
Vivienne C

Post by Vivienne C »

Beautifully played as usual Anna with lots of interest in the bass. Well done!
Kyle V

Post by Kyle V »

Hi Anna That was fantastic! :)