Nikolai's July 2022 challenge: Over the Rainbow

Nikolai L

Nikolai's July 2022 challenge: Over the Rainbow

Post by Nikolai L »

Here's a shortened version of one of my favorite songs ever. Tried to add space at the beginning and the end, and play with a bit of expression.
It's just one more thing to add to the list...not as easy as it would seem!
Why do I stare off into space? I don't know. I'm going to try one of these where I smile and look at the camera...some day. One thing at a time, right? I think the audio is a little unbalanced because of how I'm turned away from the mic too.

olivigus

Re: Nikolai's July 2022 challenge: Over the Rainbow

Post by olivigus »

Very expressive. I love this song too. It sounds very rich on your accordion. Nice job!
As for staring into space... I tend to close my eyes when I play songs I've memorized, which looks very weird in a video, so my solution thus far has been to cut my head out of the frame and just show the accordion, so I applaud your full-face video no matter which direction you're looking. Getting comfortable showing myself playing is perhaps the biggest challenge of all. As you said, one step at a time.
Reeka

Post by Reeka »

Again I am surprised how much making pauses makes a song better! You almost smile, Nikolai, instead of looking angry as myself when I play! That's an important thing. Beautiful!
Ronen from Accordion Love

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Nikolai, wonderful! Really nice phrasing - you're taking your time with the melody, which is appreciated as a listener. It makes things not so jumbled together :)
And I also stare off into space, just looking around, letting my fingers and mind do their thing... every once in a while the song will require my attention, especially if I'm performing, but otherwise it's a relaxed kind of gaze :) Well done!
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

That's really nice Nikolai! Great choice. And it sounds so much nicer with more spaces in there. Well done!
NC Poole

Post by NC Poole »

That was beautiful, Nikolai! So tender and sweet sounding. I love the minimal amount of bass notes you included, as well as your patience with the melody. Bravo!