Nora’s July 2022 Challenge

NC Poole

Nora’s July 2022 Challenge

Post by NC Poole »

Happy July, Accordion Lovers!

This month really flew by because I’ve been transitioning from my old job to a new one (yay!), and took some vacation time as well, but it is still July today so I’m sneaking in an entry after all!

I played Merry-Go-Round of Life from the film Howl’s Moving Castle. It’s a favorite song I practice often so it felt easy to work in some of the new techniques from Nikolay. Mainly I made sure to take a deep breath and lower my shoulders before playing, leaned slightly forward in a more engaged position (a bit hard to see in the video), making sure to include one of two moments of silence between parts of the song, and beginning to experiment more intentionally with dynamics. Honestly I may have tried to do too many of them all at once and I don’t know if any of them are apparent, but I was thinking of them nonetheless :)

All in all I look forward to incorporating these tips more fully into my accordion practice. Enjoy!

travis

Re: Nora’s July 2022 Challenge

Post by travis »

Beautiful. Congrats on the new job!
olivigus

Post by olivigus »

I could definitely hear the phrasing and intentional use of pauses. Interestingly, the space you left between the sections somehow made the flow into the next type of movement/melody more satisfying. Lovely job. I always enjoy your playing!
Reeka

Post by Reeka »

So beautiful - I just listened to the music you make, and got a bit lost in it. This is the result of your efforts, I think, thus the phrasing makes a huge difference!
Ronen from Accordion Love

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Nora, thanks for making time to squeeze in this challenge!
Great song choice. And as a listener, I appreciate the little breath at the beginning of the song. It's kind of a co-bodying - it lets me know to take a breath as well... sets me up for listening :)

Thanks for doing the work!
NC Poole

Post by NC Poole »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone :)