We Three Kings

Have questions or comments about any of the video lessons that are here on Accordion Love? Feel free to discuss them here
annadalvi

We Three Kings

Post by annadalvi »

I'm rather enjoying your version of We Three Kings, especially the variation around the 1:30 mark of the performance video. It has that beautiful mysterious sound. Can you tell us a little more about the scale you're using for that sound?
Ronen from Accordion Love

Re: We Three Kings

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Oooh! Even before looking at the video to see what I was playing at the 1:30 mark, I *knew* it was that F# note, which was a mistake, hence my smile at 1:31 :lol:

So, I'm using a klezmer-like scale in A minor (I'm sure someone can name the scale, but the notes are):

A B C D# E F G# A

The D# and the F are what give it that mysterious flair.
Try that scale going up and down over an A minor in your left hand.

The F# note that I play (accidentally) doesn't really fit in well, but it sure stands out :D I was aiming for the G#, but wound up short. I don't hit the F# again during the solo. But good ear!!

Let me know if that helps :)
annadalvi

Post by annadalvi »

Thanks Ronen. That does help. It appears I shall have to add some klezmer songs to my repertoire if they have those nice scales. If only I knew where to find some.... JK. Heading over to the klezmer lessons momentarily.
Last edited by annadalvi on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
douglas felsenthal

Post by douglas felsenthal »

Ronen,

So you know I'm the collector of progressions and scales. If I made up a document on progressions - where on the board could I store it?

Douglas
Scotia G

Post by Scotia G »

Ronen from Accordion Love wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:29 pm So, I'm using a klezmer-like scale in A minor
The first time I listened to this I noticed that you break into klezmer in the middle of We Three Kings. :-)