Ronen's 15-minute practice

Have questions or comments about any of the video lessons that are here on Accordion Love? Feel free to discuss them here
vortre chardclo

Ronen's 15-minute practice

Post by vortre chardclo »

https://accordionlove.com/course/15-min ... accordion/

I just wanted to offer a thought--and hopefully encouragement--to newbies like me that ties the Reddit comment shared on yesterday's livestream to the 15-minute practice ritual. (The Reddit comment was basically that the beginning players who stick with it and build musicality are the ones who celebrate little victories instead of aiming for the mountaintop and feeling sad in basecamp!)

In the beginning, your 15 minutes might not cover a lot of "content." You're playing the C-scale and going up and down the circle of 5ths with your left hand. But the *learning* going on is extreme ANY time that you're struggling a little and making progress. Your 15 minutes of pushing yourself--a little--is worth an hour or more of repeating something you already know well. My observation is that Ronen's approach is powerful, in part, because he consistently puts the PROCESS OF LEARNING under a microscope. Little things are BIG if you look at them closely enough--and they're worth celebrating!

As you progress, the same 15-minutes expands in a different way. Little by little you are able to cover more content in the same amount of time. The arpeggios in Db minor that would have consumed a painful 15 minutes had you attempted it without the foundation of technique and theory you developed in your C-scale are only just of many exercises you squeeze into that same 15 minutes.

I once attended a master class given by a professional French horn player. He claimed that each minute he spent practicing was like putting money in his bank account--and that every minute of performance was a withdrawal. I think I remember that comment (from 30 years ago) because I didn't like it!!! But I suppose there's some truth in it!
Last edited by vortre chardclo on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan

Re: Ronen's 15-minute practice

Post by alan »

Great post,agree entirely.
Thanks!
Ronen from Accordion Love

Re: Ronen's 15-minute practice

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Wow. Very well written. Thank you.
It seems counter-intuitive, but you're totally right, especially the part about the struggle that happens to make a little bit of progress. There are times where I *understand* what I need to do in my head, but my physical ability hasn't caught up yet.
Sometimes it's seeing another player doing something that I sort of understand - like playing Flight Of The Bumblebee really quickly. I kind of understand that there are trills happening VERY quickly, going down. I can't do it... but I understand that a little bit of practice... even attempting to understand those trills - will go a long way.

vortre chardclo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 pm https://accordionlove.com/course/15-min ... accordion/

I just wanted to offer a thought--and hopefully encouragement--to newbies like me that ties the Reddit comment shared on yesterday's livestream to the 15-minute practice ritual. (The Reddit comment was basically that the beginning players who stick with it and build musicality are the ones who celebrate little victories instead of aiming for the mountaintop and feeling sad in basecamp!)

In the beginning, your 15 minutes might not cover a lot of "content." You're playing the C-scale and going up and down the circle of 5ths with your left hand. But the *learning* going on is extreme ANY time that you're struggling a little and making progress. Your 15 minutes of pushing yourself--a little--is worth an hour or more of repeating something you already know well. My observation is that Ronen's approach is powerful, in part, because he consistently puts the PROCESS OF LEARNING under a microscope. Little things are BIG if you look at them closely enough--and they're worth celebrating!

As you progress, the same 15-minutes expands in a different way. Little by little you are able to cover more content in the same amount of time. The arpeggios in Db minor that would have consumed a painful 15 minutes had you attempted it without the foundation of technique and theory you developed in your C-scale are only just of many exercises you squeeze into that same 15 minutes.

I once attended a master class given by a professional French horn player. He claimed that each minute he spent practicing was like putting money in his bank account--and that every minute of performance was a withdrawal. I think I remember that comment (from 30 years ago) because I didn't like it!!! But I suppose there's some truth in it!