100+ year old Carsini

Talk about accordion repair and tools (⚠️ use caution when repairing your own accordion).
Coral_M

100+ year old Carsini

Post by Coral_M »

For some time I've been fascinated by how an accordion works but no way was I brave enough to open up my daily Hohner. Plus I fancied a smaller box. So I took the plunge and paid just a few quid for an old accordion on eBay ( the price some folks try to charge on there is eye watering for pretty pieces of junk). It's a 48 bass Carsini and it says ' made in Saxony' on it, indicating that it must be pre 1918. Any how this seller had taken lots of photos and there was no rust, the keys were all present and correct and level, from zoomed in pics the bellows didn't seem too bad. She's very, very pretty in an ice cream van kinda way. I was pleased that inside she looks much better than I had anticipated and yesterday I revalved the bass reeds. The glue was very dry and the leather had curled or dropped off. The outside reeds were easy enough as were the inside valves in the big block, but the inside reeds in the smaller block were difficult to access, so I did the ones that had curled or were missing and tbh if the others looked ok I left them and I'll check them periodically to see if they need replaced one at a time now I know the process ( obviously unless I find the old valves affect the pitch). I'm a complete novice at this so hints and tips would be appreciated.

I got the leathers and special glue from Charlie Marshall at CGM Music Services here in Scotland.

Before and after piccies below

Return to “Accordion Repair”