Help! Bellow clasp needs repair

Talk about accordion repair and tools (⚠️ use caution when repairing your own accordion).
Nikolai L

Help! Bellow clasp needs repair

Post by Nikolai L »

The screw which holds the snap closure for my bellows clasp has stripped out of the wood on the bass side.
I've got an accordion repair guy, but I'm wondering if perhaps I could open up the bass side, put some two part epoxy into the hole from the inside, then insert the screw and wait for it to dry. Any thoughts?

olivigus

Re: Help! Bellow clasp needs repair

Post by olivigus »

Hi. Just saw this post. Wondering if the epoxy worked? The other thing you might try is a slightly larger screw--if it's a 6 try an 8, etc.
Nikolai L

Re: Help! Bellow clasp needs repair

Post by Nikolai L »

Olvigus, I actually repaired it without epoxy.
I opened it up, and saw that the clasp on the other side had a little nut holding the screw in place, and sure enough when I gently turned the accordion over a few times, I could hear the other nut rattling around. It was very faint because it was so small. I took a bit of stiff wire, and made a hook on the end, then used that to fish out the lost nut. Reattached it and dabbed some all purpose silicone adhesive on it to make sure it doesn't come off again.
Voila! fixed.

Return to “Accordion Repair”