Home made reed tuner

Talk about accordion repair and tools (⚠️ use caution when repairing your own accordion).
Adrian P

Home made reed tuner

Post by Adrian P »

I know one or two of you like to tinker.
Here are photos of my home made reed tuner made from with the bellows from a scrap accordion.

Does anyone know of a free tuner I can download suitable for accordions ?
The one I am trying to use is basically for guitars. I know Dirk's accordion tuner is the best but it's too expensive for me.
Thanks
Adrian
It's humble to stumble ! :)
Ronen from Accordion Love

Re: Home made reed tuner

Post by Ronen from Accordion Love »

Wow. I have no idea what I'm looking at, Adrian. I kind of get it, but how does it work?
How do you use it to tune an accordion? Do you attach a set of reeds to that table and then use the bellows to blow air through them?
Adrian P

Post by Adrian P »

Hi Ronen,
Yes, you take the reed block out of the accordion and using the adjustable guide you can then pump air through one reed or two by sliding the middle section. Then using a tuner on the computer you can adjust the reed to the note you want by scraping either the tip or the base of the reed.
I have also made a reed holder for tuning the reeds separately if they are taken out of the block. I'll try and post another photo later. They are not perfectly made , I'm no woodworker, but they seem to do the job. :shock:
Adrian
Rudy1

Post by Rudy1 »

Adrian, what an excellent design. I just bought some wood to build one. Glad that I saw your photos. I have seen other home made units as well. Gonna make mine a little simpler than yours. Then I have to learn about tuning. There are free tuner apps for your phone that you can download.
Adrian P

Post by Adrian P »

Hi Rudy,
I first built mine with just a hinge but found that the whole structure was trying to move. I struggled for a solution when I realised I could cut two slots in the back and fit two arms through the slot. This takes the strain off the structure and reminds me of a steam train when in use LOL. I have downloaded (free) Pitch Perfect for tuning which seems to work well.
I am in the process of moving house at the moment and the new house needs extensive work, so I shan't be able to attempt any accordion repairs for some while, I intend to build a small shed/workshop for this. If you have a go I wish you luck, much cheaper and more fulfilling if you can do your own repairs.
Adrian