Forming a downtown accordion club

Want to meet someone in your area for a jam session? Be sure to include your area in the title of your post.
alan

Forming a downtown accordion club

Post by alan »

I have been trying to form a downtown Toronto Accordion club for years, with no luck. This is not the ideal time to form an in-person club
but if anyone is interested in trying to get something like this off the ground I would be interested in hearing from you. There are accordion
clubs across Canada and one I believe in Stony Creek,but there hasn't been one in Toronto for many decades. Accordion clubs are informal
affairs where people get to play for one another, any member at any level is welcome to participate.
If interested please let me know.
Thanks.
Adrian P

Re: Forming a downtown accordion club

Post by Adrian P »

I think accordion clubs in the UK mostly died out in the 50's. There are a few still, but few and far between. I attend , well I did pre covid, a guitar club once a month in our local parish hall. Most of the guys play Shadows music. I don't play guitar myself but I like to go and get out of the house for an hour or so. If I ever get good enough on the accordion I'd love to start a club here, but so far the nearest player to me that I have discovered is 40 miles away !
Good luck with your venture.
Adrian
It's humble to stumble ! :)
alan

Post by alan »

Accordion clubs are still very popular in the U.S. and in Canada, particularly in Western Canada. There is an accordion club that met about
two hours from where I live but i don't have a car so...I think some clubs are very successful and run for years,
Steven M

Post by Steven M »

You may want to post your meetups to meetup.com?

https://www.meetup.com
alan

Post by alan »

Thanks Steve, I had considered that but they charge a monthly fee. I was going to take an ad out in a local music magazine but everything is on
hold right now. I did advertise on craig's list and no one responded. I guess there just isn't the interest.
Steven M

Post by Steven M »

Ahhh...

I didn't know that they charged a fee.
alan

Post by alan »

I was just checking the member list of this site-there are over 1800 people who are members here. That is incredible.